Sunday, July 19, 2009

Reading Frenzy - Part 2

I didn't realize how much reading I've been doing this summer until I decided that I would blog about all the books I've been reading in the last month or so. Here's 3 more:

Choke by Chuck Palahniuk


When I first started reading "Choke," I was totally entranced. I loved how "real" the book seemed - I didn't want to put it down. Unfortunately, about halfway through I got the impression that the author's purpose in writing had gone from entertaining the reader towards SHOCKING the reader. But I kept reading and the book redeemed itself - in fact I just LOVED this book. But I definitely would NOT recommend this book to "normal" people because it's sure to offend!

The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch


This book is the definition of a "quick read." I figured that it would be a tear jerker (it's about a professor with pancreatic cancer) and even though I did cry whenever he talked about his family, it wasn't as emotional to read as I expected. I especially enjoyed the chapters where he gave advice on living - very inspiring.

The Center of the Universe: A Memoir by Nancy Bachrach


Don't judge, but I think I love memoirs because it's like watching reality TV or even reading someone's blog archives.

I had never heard of this book when I picked it off the "New" shelf at the library. I was intrigued by 1)The bright pink cover; 2)It was a memoir; and 3)They compared Nancy Bachrach’s writing style and humor to that of David Sedaris.

I wasn't disappointed. Here's what the Toledo Library's website has to say about it: "Nancy Bachrach's stunning debut is a darkly comic tale of genius, madness, ineptitude, and collateral damage; a hilarious, mordant memoir about her mother, whose medical history reads like the chapter headings of a psychiatric manual and ends so improbably that it could only be the truth. It is a brilliant, beautiful story of the haphazard tyranny of an accident and the serendipity of love."

2 comments:

Kerry said...

i'm glad you liked choke as much as i did, but i'm going to warn you, don't waste your time with the movie. i plan on getting some jane austen books from the library tomorrow so i'll have to let you know what i think!

Matthew said...

Chuck is often accused of writing to shock readers, which I believe has merit. The end of choke with all those rocks being left to build something left a profound impact on me. However, Choke is probably my least favorite of his books. If you are into Demolition Derby and Time Travel, check out Rant. It is probably my favorite (well after Fiight Club of course).