I wanted to read this book because it's been on the NY Times bestsellers list for quite some time - and the title intrigued me. When I requested the book from the library (I love libraries!) I assumed it was going to be about a book club that likes to eat weird food (Potato Peel Pie?!) but it turned out to be so much more.
The premise is simple: During WWII a group of neighbors in German occupied Guernsey found comfort and friendship in reading books together.
Although the book is fiction, it felt so REAL because it's a collection of letters between Juliet (an author), her publisher, and members of the Society, who tell their story after the war.
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling
My Book 6 Reading History:
1) Read it in a day or two when it first came out - didn't want to put it down!
2) Re-read it after watching the 5th movie for the first time.
3) Just re-re-read it before the 6th movie came out.
4) Future Reading? I have a strong feeling that I will be re-reading the entire series next summer before the next movie comes out. (And since they are splitting book 7 into two movies, I might just be re-reading the entire series the following summer as well...)
One of the ways to separate a good book from a REALLY good book is to re-read it. A really good book (Pride and Prejudice, anyone?!) just gets better and better each time. In fact, I think I enjoyed Book 6 more this time than ever.
I love the conflict of good vs. evil in all of the Harry Potter books. It's great how they have the characters who are so clearly good (Dumbledore, etc.) and so clearly bad (Voldemort and one of my FAVS: Bellatrix!) mixed in with a character like Snape (another one of my favorites) who you're not really sure if he's good or bad - especially at the end of the Half Blood Prince!
"I know I will be dead long before you read this but I want you to know that it was I who discovered your secret. I have stolen the real Horcrux and intend to destroy it as soon as I can. I face death in the hope that when you meet your match, you will be mortal once more." — R.A.B.

BTW, I was so happy that I was able to go to the movies to see it on Wednesday. Mom bought the tickets during the day and was told that we should get there an hour early. When we got there (about 45 minutes before showtime) it was sold-out and there was already a big line waiting to get into the show. But I didn't mind waiting at all because it added to the anticipation. IMHO there has never been a movie that's been better than a great book. With that being said, I really enjoyed the movie and am already looking forward to seeing it again when it comes out on DVD. As we were leaving the theatre, we saw a little cutie waiting in line all dressed up as Harry and waiting for the 10pm show. I hope he was able to stay awake for it!
Twilight of Avalon: A Novel of Trystan & Isolde by Anna Elliott
I enjoyed this book, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone because it starts off a little slow and there are some violent/disturbing scenes in it. I really loved how this book took the story of Tystan & Isolde and combined it with the the legend of King Arthur/Geneviere/Lancelot.
3 comments:
I've missed reading your blogs these past couple weeks. I have yet to see HP6, but I'm hoping to shortly. Katie and I both re-read it. I agree with your comment about re-reading books as a test of their greatness. For me it is The Great Gatsby. Everytime I read it, it blows me away. Hope all is well!
Ditto almost everything you wrote - I couldn't get into "Twilight of Avalon: A Novel of Trystan & Isolde", I read about 50 pages and just had to give it up. In its place I read "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" - all of you P&P fans with a sense of satire should enjoy this!
We saw HP over the weekend and really liked it but I totally agree that movies are never as good as the books.
I think I'll reserve the potato book - sounds up my alley. And yes to P&P! I need to reread that soon too!
A good book gets better with age!
Post a Comment