Saturday, January 17, 2009

My Lucky Day

I was a bit sour this morning when I had to get up and go to CPR training for a 9am to 5pm class. To make myself happier, I made whole wheat pancakes with maple syrup. I used the flat griddle part of my new grill pan for the first time!



I got to the Red Cross and was thrilled that there were only two of us taking the class today! The other person was a really sweet young girl getting ready to graduate college. So it took the instructor no time at all to check to make sure we were doing everything right. He said normally he has to go around watching at least 10 different pairs working on each other. But since today he only had one pair to watch, everything went super fast. We were done by 2:00!!! That's 3 hours early! Even though the class was much shorter than expected, I think that I received much better training by having just the two of us there.

So I'm officially trained in CPR/AED/First Aid for adults, children, and infants. Yay! I need this certification as my first step in getting a Michigan teaching certif...



At noon I was very sneaky and ate a cherry LaraBar during one of the CPR videos. On the way home I ate a spinach wrap stuffed with sliced chicken, light miracle whip, and a few fresh spinach leaves.



This wrap saved me because if I hadn't had it I can pretty much guarantee that I would've stopped at Burger King and gotten a Whopper on the way home - when I drove by BK the car really wanted to veer into the drive through! But luckily I had planned ahead and enjoyed my wrap instead...



I was SO EXCITED about getting out of class so early! But I decided to use some of that extra time wisely and called Sprint to talk to them about my cell phone that refuses to ring. I spent about an hour on the phone, but was thrilled with the result: they claim that they are going to replace my phone with another Katana (that's the type of phone I have) at NO COST and they are NOT making us renew our contract. I was shocked. They said that my phone had a "defect." I couldn't believe that they were being so generous so I had him repeat everything to R - he told R the same thing! They told me that I would receive my phone in 2-3 business days. I'm crossing my fingers that all of this is true. If it is, then Sprint is officially the best phone company ever for replacing a 2+ year old phone for FREE (and no new or renewed contract!).

Then we hung out here at the house for awhile. Toby came over with a homemade apple pie that his neighbor had made. It looked really good but I passed on it because I knew we were going out for dinner and I'd be eating more than my share of calories. So instead of the apple pie I had 2 large carrots with hummus.

For dinner we went to the Lucky Cafe in Jackson for the first time. It was so fun going out to eat because we hadn't gone out since we were in Mackinaw. (That's a long time for us - we eat out way too much and have been successfully cutting back on it.)

I started off with wonton soup (this had a darker broth and was much more flavorful than I'm used to). The soup was soooo good - give me a big bowl of that and it would be a meal in itself!



Then I had an egg roll. Unfortunately, this wasn't a very healthy decision.



For my main dish I ordered tofu with vegetables. It rocked!!! The veggies were crisp but the tofu was soft - just the way I like it!



I was blown away my the quantity of food - all of that for $6.95! (Including the soup and egg roll!) Here's my serving over white rice:



I took so much food home! Neither R or Ron were interested in leftover tofu, so I decided to pack some of it away for a FROZEN DINNER to eat in the future! I used another one of my saved black plastic containers and put the rice and tofu veggies in it. I labeled and froze it to enjoy on a day when I'm too busy, tired, or hungry to cook!



I'm planning on finishing off the leftovers tomorrow for lunch after my 7 mile run. Three meals for under $7 - that's so cool! I feel very HEAVY right now - I blame the egg roll and white rice. I'm looking forward to burning off some of these extra calories tomorrow on the treadmill with Mamma Mia...

1 comment:

BradFam said...

Congratulations on your CPR/AED certification!

Isn't it great when you can get several meals out of one dinner? Sometimes it's even tastier later.

Sounds like good news with Sprint - did you get a choice of color?