Saturday, January 03, 2009

Gephyrophobia

"Gephyrophobia: An abnormal and persistent fear of crossing bridges. Sufferers of this phobia experience undue anxiety even though they realize their fear is irrational. Their fear may result partly from the fear of enclosure (claustrophobia) or the fear of heights (acrophobia)." Thanks, google. (medterms.com)

I don't completely freak out or have a panic attack when I cross bridges, but I get SO CRAZY NERVOUS while crossing them. I knew I couldn't be the only one, so I looked it up online and found that it's a real thing. And it makes sense because I am also afraid of enclosed spaces (especially places that I feel like I wouldn't be able to get out of if there was a fire or other emergecy - e.g. airplanes, St. Vincent De Paul in Toledo, etc) AND of heights - I guess they're all related somehow.

Anyway, I'll be running over the High Level Bridge in Toledo for my half marathon in April. Even though I'll be nervous, I know I'll be able to handle it. I think the ultimate way to face my fears though would be to someday run the annual 5 mile race over the Mackinaw bridge.

My first youtube uploads...

Here is the bridge on Jan. 1 when we crossed. The visibility was so poor that you could hardly tell it was even a bridge!



And here we are crossing the bridge Jan 2.



Snowy bridge:



I already miss it up there...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

when we love,
we can not see