Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Rebecca

Title: Rebecca
Author: Daphne DuMaurier
Status: Borrowed from Library





Wow. One of the best books I have ever read. In fact, I think "Rebecca" may actually be the second best book that I've read in my life. (Pride and Prejudice = #1)

With the famous opening line, "Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again" I was taken in completely. I was absorbed in the gothic feel, the gorgeous writing, the creepiness (it's like a ghost story but with no ghost), and especially the characters.

The characters were soooooooo amazing. Although my two favorite characters in it are not the heroine and Mr. DeWinter as expected. I simply LOVED TO HATE the vile housekeeper, Mrs. Danvers. She was just so evil and disturbing. And I was obsessed with the complexity of Rebecca, dead before the story even begins, and described though the comments and memories of other characters.

I've never seen the Hitchcock movie, and even though it's available on Netflix I think I'm going to hold off on that for a little while. I don't want to disrupt the novel's perfection right now, even though I've heard the movie is excellent.

This book will definitely be in my "re-read" pile!
Rating: 5/5 (6/5?)

No comments: