Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Fahrenheit 451

Yes, I'm a nerd. I re-read Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451 just so I could make a Venn Diagram comparing it to 1984 (and eventually Brave New World)


Source

Like with 1984, I believed I had read this book before in junior high. As soon as I started reading, everything came back to me and I did remember this book pretty vividly. I have plenty of books to read that I've never read before, but once I got started I couldn't just stop. It's a short book so it didn't take very long to read anyway.

I love the irony of Guy Montag, a fireman of the future. His job? Start fires, burn books, and burn the houses that contain books. I really enjoyed watching Guy "wake up" and with the help of Clarisse, realize that what was happening in the world around him just wasn't right.

"I'll hold on to the world tight some day. I've got one finger on it now; that's a beginning."
— Ray Bradbury (Fahrenheit 451)



Spoiler Alert:

2 comments:

Matthew said...

I read 451, 1984, and brave new world in succession during a reading binge when I was 18. The binge involved little to no eating, a book a day, and infrequent showers. Anyways, I love your diagram! Good way to organize thoughts. After you finish this trinity of dystopian thought you should watch the film Equilibrium (starring the Hunk Christian Bale) to see which of the books it is closest to.

Anonymous said...

I love how intertwined those books are. I'm looking forward reading Brave New World. So jealous that you them all in 3 days - sounds like a binge I would enjoy! Just added Equilibrium to my netflix queue...