Thursday, May 28, 2009

Running!

Hard to believe that it's already been over a MONTH since my first half marathon! Since then, I've taken a break from running. I've barely been running at all. But I've started to MISS it. And, my jeans are starting to feel tight. :(

So I was excited to start a new 5k Training program today. I'm doing the "Beginner" 5k program from Nike Plus. I figured I would start off at the "Intermediate" level considering last month I ran three hours, 13.1 miles but after looking over all of the levels, I decided "Beginner" was the program for me. 2 miles on day 1, and 4 miles on the second day of running - does that sound like a 5k beginner to you? By day two you've already ran more than the race distance. Oh, well!

I hopped on the treadmill and did a bit of a warmup walk and then set the speed for 5.4mph for my two miles. I chose to go slow for today's run because I wanted to focus on my running form and posture. I know I used to run all hunched over, so I made a real effort to straighten myself out.

Even though I have two knee sleeves, I decided to only wear a sleeve on my right knee today since that's the one that's been known to give me problems. (And because I was reading a blog about how this girl needs to replace her knee sleeves every 3-6 months since they wear out - so I could save $$$ by only wearing the sleeve on the knee that needs it.)

I know it was only 2 miles, but I felt GREAT running again. I felt happy and peaceful. While I was running I kept wondering how much easier and less stressful this past month might have been if I had kept up my running routine. Oh well!

My knees, body, mind, and soul felt amazing after that short run...

This thing below says this workout was from 11/28/08 but it's really from today. I didn't even HAVE the Nike Chip in November. Need to figure out how to change that....

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I found that the Nike programs are NOT friendly for beginners!

Blaire said...

That's great your running again! What an excellent running program-- such a beginner course, I'll have Zoe start on it.:o)

Anonymous said...

My running has sucked, roughly once a week. You Sarah and I need to get back on the horse and set some goals for this summer. No diggity