Friday, February 27, 2009

Fox & Food

I love books. When I was teaching, March was always "Book Month." (IMHO "Book Month" should be EVERY month in schools, but that's a different rant...) I remembered "Book Month" this morning as I drove to work and realized that February is already almost over! I started thinking, "Even though I'm not teaching right now, how I can I celebrate reading?" So I decided to start recording my reading here on the blog.

This summer I had plenty of spare time so I was reading about 2 books per week. Lately I've been reading only about 2 books per MONTH. (If that!) Although it took me awhile, the other day I finally finished reading Michael J. Fox's memoir "Lucky Man."



Before I read his memoir I really didn't have any more of an interest in MJFox than anyone else. But I really liked him in Family Ties & Back to the Future and my mom had given the book a good review, so I started reading.

Fox's charm, honesty, and passion really had me hooked early on. I especially loved reading about his early years in the "slums of Beverly Hills" before he had "made it" as an actor. I was surprised to read about him struggling with money and a drinking problem back in his younger days. Even though Parkison's Disease is just a small fraction of his book I learned much about the disease and stem-cell research.

I think another reason I enjoyed this book so much was because it was almost like reading a really long blog entry. I need to read more memoirs!

And now for food:

For breakfast I made an egg white omelet using spinach, feta,



and the last of a box of egg whites.



I also had a small glass of pineapple orange juice.



It was good, but the flavor of the feta was a little strong for me first thing in the morning. I think might omit the feta next time...

For lunch I had a spinach salad with more feta, craisins, and walnuts.



Topped with Lite Raspberry dressing:



On the side I had TJ's applesauce. I love how it's super chunky and so SPICY. I think I might look into making my own applesauce sometime soon...



For dinner tonight we're going to order pizza and eat while we watch The Sarah Conner Chronicles. Nite!

1 comment:

BradFam said...

I'm glad you liked the book. I need to go to the library to get something good; I've just been reading "junk" books before I go to bed lately.