Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Tears of Relief

My Rantings about the Election:

I will never forget last night's election. I knew I wasn't going to bed until I heard Obama's speech (luckily it was at midnight - I was afraid it might be 3am!). If you haven't seen it, you MUST watch it. I have NEVER felt so proud to be an American.



I couldn't tell you the last time I was so moved and inspired. I truly believe that things are really going to change. I was just sobbing throughout and after his brilliant speech. When R asked me why I was crying, I realized that I was crying out of relief. I am just SO RELIEVED.

Here are a few of my favorite quotes from the victory speech:

For even as we celebrate tonight, we know the challenges that tomorrow will bring are the greatest of our lifetime – two wars, a planet in peril, the worst financial crisis in a century. Even as we stand here tonight, we know there are brave Americans waking up in the deserts of Iraq and the mountains of Afghanistan to risk their lives for us. There are mothers and fathers who will lie awake after their children fall asleep and wonder how they’ll make the mortgage, or pay their doctor’s bills, or save enough for college. There is new energy to harness and new jobs to be created; new schools to build and threats to meet and alliances to repair.

The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep. We may not get there in one year or even one term, but America – I have never been more hopeful than I am tonight that we will get there. I promise you – we as a people will get there.


***


This is our moment. This is our time – to put our people back to work and open doors of opportunity for our kids; to restore prosperity and promote the cause of peace; to reclaim the American Dream and reaffirm that fundamental truth – that out of many, we are one; that while we breathe, we hope, and where we are met with cynicism, and doubt, and those who tell us that we can’t, we will respond with that timeless creed that sums up the spirit of a people:

Yes We Can

No comments: