Last night I made my version of "Chickpeas Romesco" from my Veganomicon cookbook. I had it for dinner tonight and it was FANTASTIC! I served it over brown rice. I also added parm cheese (not pictured).
The recipe said to put fire roasted tomatoes, slivered almonds, and a few other things into the food processor. Although I love to use my food processor, I decided not to blend it up cuz I wanted the chunks of tomatoes. I'm glad I didn't blend them up, cuz I LOVED the crunch of the almonds in the dish!
Also included are roasted red peppers, EVOO, garlic, shallots, chile pepper, white wine, sugar, thyme, rosemary, and chickpeas. Mmmm... (And pretty inexpensive and easy to make, too!) I made so much that I'll be eating on this for days...
2 comments:
How "hot" are the fire roasted tomatoes? I know RR uses them all the time, so I figured they'd be hot...
That dish looks incredible! I've found I am picky about my chick peas-- depending on the brand, they can be incredible and nutty or mushy and bland gross tasting(the Meijer brand in particular). I noticed you bought Meijer beans, but not Meijer chick peas-- do you notice a difference too??
It's weird, but the fire roasted tomatoes aren't hot at all! They are actually pretty sweet, but with a deeper, almost smokey flavor. I love them! But they can be super expensive, so I only buy them when they are on sale. (And you're right, RR uses them a lot! That's how I first heard about them...)
I'm in the same boat with you regarding the chick peas! I'm picky about them, too! I do prefer that brand of beans that I bought yesterday, but when I have a mushier can of chickpeas (like meijer!), I just toast them in a hot pan with a little cooking spray. They turn golden brown and crisp up. YUM!!!
Post a Comment