Sunday, April 13, 2008

Saturday Lunch & Shopping




Yesterday for lunch we went to the Tropical Smoothie Cafe in Maumee. We've had their smoothies before and LOVED them, so we decided to try out some of the food there. R and I both ordered the "Veggie Veggie" wrap for $6.49 each (which in my opinion is a bit overpriced). It sounded so yummy on the menu - rice, black beans, aspargus, onion, tomatoes, parm cheese, romaine lettuce, balsamic vinegrette on a garlic herb tortilla. But when we ate it it was just ok. We were both surprised that it was served hot/toasted. (I just didn't think the lettuce on the wrap tasted very good warm...) R and I both agreed that we did like the option of having fruit OR chips with the wrap. (We both choose the fruit - banana.) But the wrap was filling and I couldn't even eat the banana with the meal, so I saved that for a snack later in the afternoon.

Then we hung around a coffee shop drinking coffee, playing backgammon, and listening to some crazy and loud conversations that people around us were having! At one point (after being there literally hours) R asked if we should head out, but we decided we couldn't leave yet because the "show" around us wasn't finished! But after another hour (and these INSANE loud conversations were STILL going on both behind and beside us) we decided that we just couldn't spend the entire day there!


We went to Meijer for some grocery shopping. I only spent $15 this week! (So far in April I have only spent $45 on groceries. I think limiting myself to grocery shopping only once a week and planning out my meals in advance is really going to reduce my grocery spending!) I love shopping.

On my grocery list I had written "any fruit that looks yummy for snacking." When we got there, I saw these HUGE containers of strawberries (much much bigger than the usual size I often get) for $3. My "normal" size of strawberries was on sale for $2, but I opted to go for the bigger package! (Hopefully they won't go bad before I eat them - I think I'll just make smoothies with them if they start to look like they might go bad...) The most expensive thing that I bought was my eggs. I chose to get the cage free, vegetarian fed, organic eggs which were $3.39. I also bought bananas, a tube of tomato paste, Kashi oatmeal raisin flax cookies, a couple cans of refried beans, a chocolate carmel Zone bar, and a box of Mutter Paneer. (This Indian food wasn't on my list but it was on sale and they are GREAT for the nights when I work late and I just need to eat something quickly.) Couldn't tell you the last time I got everything I needed for the week for only $15...

2 comments:

Blaire said...

I love that you've added your grocery pics! Sounds like your doing a great job of keeping your spending limit on food to a minimum!

And thank you for buying cage free eggs! I know they are expensive, but the little chickens still have their beaks and toes!

Brooke said...

I agree with you about the eggs! I'm hoping to eventually someday eliminate eating eggs completely, but I'm trying to do this gradually, so I thought the cage-free eggs would be a nice middle ground for the time being...