Sunday, October 31, 2010

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Title: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Author: Douglas Adams
Status: Borrowed from Library



Source

One of my friends from my Master's program had the ability to crack me up laughing no matter how uptight or stressed out I was this summer. We seemed to be kindred spirits in our love of geeky pop-culture stuff whether it be Monty Python, Harry Potter, etc. However, when I was freaking out before a big exam she reminded me that if they ask about the meaning of life to just remember the answer was 42. When I just stared at her blankly, she was shocked that I hadn't read Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. She said it was right up my alley and I'd have to read it.

To say the least, she was right. This book was just ridiculous - so funny! Another quick read (love these books that I can read in just one or two nights). This one made me laugh out loud a couple times at it's complete silliness. I was talking to mom about it, and we described The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy as Dr. Who meets Monty Python. I think this is a perfect description!

"So this is it," said Arthur, "We are going to die."
"Yes," said Ford, "except... no! Wait a minute!" He suddenly lunged across the chamber at something behind Arthur's line of vision. "What's this switch?" he cried.
"What? Where?" cried Arthur, twisting round.
"No, I was only fooling," said Ford, "we are going to die after all."
— Douglas Adams (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)

"For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons."
— Douglas Adams (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)

Rating: 4/5

No comments: