
I remember a few years back hearing about the controversy regarding the fabrications and exaggerations that are evident throughout this "memoir". (Check out this link for details.)
I'm a fan of The Hills (a "reality" show that is scripted) so how can I judge Frey for stretching the truth? I don't care how much of the book is true, I absolutely loved reading this book. It's a heartbreakingly beautiful, poetic, and harsh book about addiction. And the writing blew me away...
I close my eyes and I let my body shut itself down and I let my mind wander. It wanders to a familiar place. A place I don’t talk about or acknowledge exists. A place where there is only me. A place that I hate. I am alone. Alone here and alone in the world. Alone in my heart and alone in my mind. Alone everywhere, all the time, for as long as I can remember. Alone with my Family, alone with my friends, alone in a Room full of People. Alone when I wake, alone through each awful day, alone when I finally meet the blackness. I am alone in my horror. Alone in my horror. I don’t want to be alone. I have never wanted to be alone. I f**king hate it. I hate that I have no one to talk to, I hate that I have no one to call, I hate that I have no one to hold my hand, hug me, tell me everything is going to be all right. I hate that I have no one to share my hopes and dreams with, I hate that I no longer have any hopes or dreams, I hate that I have no one to tell me to hold on, that I can find them again. I hate that when I scream, and I scream bloody murder, that I am screaming into emptiness. I hate that there is no one to hear my scream and that there is no one to help me learn how to stop screaming. . . More than anything, all I have ever wanted is to be close to someone. More than anything, all I have ever wanted is to feel as if I wasn’t alone."
— James Frey (A Million Little Pieces)
1 comment:
i read 'a million little pieces' a few years ago (i was probably too young for it, but oh well) and can still pretty clearly remember certain parts that i thought were especially poignant. the whole 'scandal' surrounding it makes me laugh. i say who cares if it's not 100% the truth, it makes for an interesting story.
Post a Comment