Monday, August 03, 2009

Grillaz in the Mist

On Saturday after failing to find anywhere that we wanted to Putt-Putt, we continued down Route 12 in search of the gorgeous sunflower fields that we saw last summer. We couldn't find the sunflower fields (either it's the wrong month for them or they planted something else instead) but that was ok because somehow we just "ended up" in Ann Arbor ;)

We "conveniently" parked in the parking garage directly behind the Heidleberg (where mom and dad just recently ate)

We walked in the back door and I was blown away by how dark and "castle-like" the building felt. Although there were three floors to choose from, only the main floor was open around lunch time, so we went in and sat down at the bar.



I asked for a German Wheat beer and was encouraged to try Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse. This beer was so thick yet refreshing - I loved it! I was asking the bartender about my beer, and she offered me a free sample of the dark version. I had never tried a dark wheat beer before and it rocked. Next time I think I'll order the Franziskaner Dunkel.



R enjoyed a Hofbrau and a cigar while we chatted at the bar. We were interested in the "Poker Upstairs" signs that we saw, but unfortuanately they don't play cards on Saturdays.



We walked out the front door and I was finally able to see what the building looked like:



There are so many amazing places to eat in Ann Arbor, but we ended up with one of our favorites: BD's Mongolian BBQ

Love the T-shirts that all of the grillers and servers wear. I think my favorite this time was "Grillaz in the Mist"



Then we headed across the street to a really sweet comic book store called "Vault of Midnight."



I'm not a big comic book person, but this brought back fun memories of collecting comic books as a kid.

Obviously I loved this Pride and Prejudice Comic:



I could spend countless days browsing all of the unique shops. I had a blast exploring the messiness of the Dawn Treader Book Store. There is just something about the musty smell in a used bookstore that I love.



Think I might know someone who might appreciate an entire section dedicated to the Third Reich?



After more shopping, walking, and snacking we moved the car closer to the State Theatre where we watched "Food, Inc." What a wonderful day...

3 comments:

Matthew said...

Vault of Midnight is surely one of the better comic book stores of the midwest. Besides Pride and Prejudice, Marvel is also putting out Wizard of Oz. If they ever start putting out Alice in Wonderland I will be sure to let you know. THIS IS YOUR OPPORTUNITY TO JUMP INTO THE COMIC BOOK SCENE!

BradFam said...

What a great day in A2!

Blaire said...

Remember Howard the Duck?:o)