Sunday, February 01, 2009

Baby, we were born to run...

Sorry, I'm watching Bruce Springsteen singing during the half-time show as I blog. :)

After an AWESOME weekend at mom and dad's I headed to Dave's Performance Footgear in Perrysburg to stock up on goo. I bought a ton!!! This stuff doesn't expire until 2010 so I'll be alternating between the Hammer gels, Clif Shot Blocks, and the homemade gel that I'm planning on making soon...



I was there at the store for about 30 minutes! There were only two customers and two workers at Dave's. The one worker was having a long running talk with the other customer when the second worker came up to me and started talking to me about running. He was asking me about my running goals and plans, telling me about some of his marathons (yes, he runs the full 26.2 miles OFTEN), and gave me some really good running advice. He invited me to a free weekly running club dedicated to training for the Glass City Half - if I lived closer I would have definitely joined the club! I am very impressed with how nice and helpful Dave's employees always are.



Today I tried out the black cherry Shot Blocks. The directions say to take 3-6 blocks per hour. So since I planned on my run being 80 minutes (it was longer, tho!) I decided to eat all six that came in the package. I took 3 walking breaks and ate 2 blocks during each break. I ate them at miles 2, 4, and 6. There were 200 calories in the 6 blocks.



They worked like a charm and actually TASTED GOOD. I was so impressed with them! Right now I feel like a million bucks. (In other words, I feel the exact opposite of the way I felt last Sunday during my 8 miler!) I avoided gatorade today and just stuck with water since I figured there were enough electrolytes in the shots.

I loved this line that I saw in an Adidas running shoe ad, "I'm loving every wonderful, horrible minute of this." That was so me today!

1 comment:

Blaire said...

Those blocks look cool!

Have you tried Sport Beans?

http://www.sportbeans.com/

I heard that they taste great and they are 4.99 for 5 - 1oz bags.

I drink a Power Edge drink mix before a really hard workout- and its insane how great I feel-- and I dont crash afterwards, plus it is only 5 calories. They sell them at Walmart and taste great!