Teaching in the inner city with children who really "needed" me gave me such fulfillment. Everyday (even the bad ones) I felt like I was really making a difference. There were many days that I cried on the way home thinking about some of the sad stories I'd learned about some of the children and their families, but I always felt glad that I was there to listen (and hopefully HELP).
Although I don't dislike my current job, being a receptionist and switchboard operator all morning and working in the education dept all afternoon just isn't fulfilling in the same way teaching was. I feel like it's time for me to start doing something to actually HELP people until I am teaching again. (Hopefully I'll be teaching this fall!) This weekend I'm going to check out volunteering options and once I start doing something for others, maybe I'll feel a little more fulfilled again...
Breakfast: Instant oatmeal (Maple and brown sugar flavor)
Lunch: Kashi Lime Cilantro Shrimp that I got from the "used" section at Target. YUM!
Snack: 2 Clif Z bars (my 250 calorie lunch didn't hold me over well, so I needed TWO bars at 3pm!)
Dinner: SUSHI!!!
After work tonight I called the brand new sushi place in Jackson that opened over Christmas: Aka Sushi. (R calls it "Also Known As" Sushi instead of AKA...) and ordered two of the most "American" rolls ever - a California Roll and Philadelphia Roll. They were so good! The prices weren't too shabby either. The California was $4.59 (crab and avocado); the Philly was $4.99 (cream cheese, smoked salmon, and avocado).
They were SOOOOOO AMAZING!!!!
I love how I don't feel stuffed after eating, too. I kinda feel nice and LIGHT for a change. I'm already planning out what I'll pick up next time! Less than $5 for delicious take out is a steal. (That's cheaper than my weekly [or more often, really] trips that I used to take to Wendy's for a spicy chicken combo.) Next time I'll def get the Sweet potato tempura roll (one of my favorites at Bistro Wasabi in Perrysburg).
Ron didn't try any sushi tonight, but he put away a few pieces in tupperware, and he's planning on trying them tomorrow with his friend. :)
5 comments:
Yum Sushi! But seriously, I know what you mean about not feeling like you are giving or contributing. I dealt with this a lot when I first quit working to stay home. Here I am pouring over my own family all day but it just didn't seem the same as working with the kiddos. Anyways, I've found that when I serve people even in the simplest ways I feel so much better. Since I am home during the week I've found I can be useful for some really random things like watching a kid for an hour, climbing under a dumpster to help an old man get pills he dropped (that's kind of an interesting story), or just checking in on Mike's grandma. I'm sure you will find a good volunteer opportunity!
I read about this in Parents Magazine and might do it. You might like it too. You are a pen pal for a kid with reading difficulties and you read 5 books "with" them during the school year and correspond back and forth about them. http://www.volunteermatch.org/search/opp422500.jsp
Yummy Yummy Sushi!!:o) It looks even better than I imagined!!
Hey there Brooke!!! I couldn't imagine my life without my students so I definitely am sympathetic to you!! Have you ever thought about tutoring?? I know that our libraries has programs where you can help children. Good luck to you!
Is there a school near where you work that might need a little help before school a few days a week? It might fit in with your winter work hours.
Perhaps you could go to a Brooklyn board meeting (or even the parent group meeting) and volunteer to work on a committee - even work at the concession stand at a game now and then.
Post a Comment